Due to the COVID-19 pandemic our welfare and benefits advisers are currently not able to offer face-to-face appointments. If you would like welfare or benefit advice please ask your clinical team member or a support and information specialist to make a referral. Alternatively call 020 3447 8663. 

If the call goes to voicemail please leave your name, hospital number, telephone number and a short description of your query. A member of the team will call you back. 

If your query is simple you will be called back within two working days. If your query is complex you will be offered a booked telephone appointment with an advisor. The current wait for a booked telephone appointment is 2-3 weeks. 

Our welfare and benefits team provide support and advice on all aspects of welfare and benefits to people affected by cancer and blood conditions, including carers.

The team can:

  • Find out what benefits you’re entitled to
  • Help you to apply for benefits
  • Support you if you’re going through a benefits tribunal
  • Give advice about other financial support
  • Signpost you to other specialist services, or services local to you

You can find helpful information about coronavirus and claiming benefits on the Universal Credit website:

For help to fill in the PIP form, visit the Citizens Advice website:

There is a drop-in service on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 11.30am and 2pm (please note that the cut off for arrivals is 1.30pm). It’s available for short discussions only and we offer appointments outside of these times for more detailed support.

There are four appointment slots available during each drop-in session and they are allocated on the first come first served basis. You can put your name on the drop-in list on the morning of the drop-in session. The drop-ins can occasionally be cancelled so please call us in the morning on 020 3447 8663 to check that it is going ahead that day.

We will book an appointment for you if you need help to complete forms or if your query is complex. You will need a two-hour appointment to complete a form.

You can ask your nurse, doctor or a support and information specialist based in the Macmillan Support and Information Service to refer you. You can also ring us on
020 3447 8663 and ask to be referred.

You may find it helpful to contact some of the departments listed below before visiting us. For new benefit claims (including Universal Credit), please contact Jobcentre Plus on 0800 055 66 88.

  • Attendance Allowance: 0800 731 0122
  • Carer's Allowance Unit: 0800 731 0297
  • Child Benefit: 0300 200 3100
  • Child Tax Credit: 0345 300 3900
  • Employment & Support Allowance: 0800 055 6688

We aim to offer advice to as many patients as possible but we may not always be able to provide support at a time convenient for you. We have listed other services you can also contact for advice below:

  • Age UK (50 plus)
    Tel: 0800 055 6112
  • Citizens Advice
    Tel: 03444 111 444
    Website: (to find your local office)
  • Civil Legal Advice
    Tel: 0345 345 4 345
  • Law Centres Network
    Tel: 020 3637 1330
  • Macmillan Cancer Support
    Tel: 0808 808 00 00 (people with a cancer diagnosis only)
  • National Debtline
    Tel: 0808 808 4000
  • TaxAid
    Tel: 0345 120 3779

For advice on housing benefit, council tax support, Blue Badge scheme, Taxicards (London boroughs only) and Freedom Passes, please contact your local council.

Please note that our welfare and benefits service is not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Therefore, we cannot advise on the following areas:

  • Bankruptcy
  • Pension advice
  • Mortgage/insurance policy issues; however, we can help with some rent arrears/mortgage arrears of less than £1,000 as well as utility debts and credit card debts that are unsecured
  • Self-employed business – for self-employed tax issues please contact TaxAid (see above for contact details)
  • Secured debts – please contact the National Debtline, your local Citizens Advice (see above for contact details) or the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) ()
  • Immigration – we cannot do supporting letters for family members to travel to the UK, unless requested by an immigration adviser. Please contact your local Citizens Advice, a law centre or an immigration solicitor.